College of Education Level 1: Completing University & College Requirements
Admission to the College of Education is based on two levels. Students are directly admitted to the College of Education Level 1 from high school or another institution of higher learning by completing an admission application to the University, selection of a College of Education program on the admission application, and acceptance to Wayne State University. Level 1 students are working to fulfill the requirements found on pages 2 through 5 of this guide, which includes General Education Requirements, College Requirements (the Special Education Comprehensive Major), and the requirements for admission to Level 2.
Level 1 students will be required to take two courses in the Teacher Education Division (TED):
TED 2550 – Ethical Issues in School and Society (3 credits)
TED 2551 – Becoming a Professional Educator (3 credits)
In order to apply to the Professional Education Sequence (Level 2), students must complete the following requirements:
- Completion of at least 53 semester hours.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.50.
- Completion of the following courses PSY 1010, PSY 2400, and BIO 1030, BIO 1050, BIO 1510 or SCE 5010.
- Completion of TED 2250 and TED 2251.
- Completion of Intermediate Composition.
- Completion of MAT 1110 (Math Competency).
- A passing score on each of the three sections of the MTTC Basic Skills Test #96. The three sections on the Basic Skills Test are Mathematics, Reading, and Writing. Study guides are available on the MTTC website [www.mttc.nesinc.com] or in 469 Education. When registering for the test, please select Wayne State University (31) as a “College or University to receive scores”.
- A copy of a negative tuberculosis (TB) test (within the last three years).
- A current (within the last six months) statewide Criminal History Check (http://apps.michigan.gov/ICHAT/)
- Up-to-date transcripts from each undergraduate school attended or WSU Transfer Credit Evaluation.
- Advisor-signed curriculum guide.
- A completed Level 2 Application.
- Students with complete applications will be invited to attend a mandatory COE Orientation, which is the final requirement for admission to Level 2.
The deadlines for application to Level 2 are February 1, June 1, and October 1 for admission in the next semester.
College of Education Level 2: The Cognitive Impairment Major & the Professional Education Sequence
Admission to the College of Education Level 2 program requires a separate College application, available in Room 469, College of Education or http://coe.wayne.edu/as/admissions.php. Students complete the Level 2 application when Level 2 admission requirements have been fulfilled (see page 5). Admission to Level 2 is not competitive. Students meeting all requirements will be admitted. Students in Level 2 have access to the Cognitive Impairment Major and to the course in the Professional Education Sequence (see page 6).
1. No grade below a “C” may be used to meet College Requirements or courses in the major, minor, and the Professional Education Sequence. Note: All students must receive a “C” or higher in Basic and Intermediate Composition if these requirements are completed or transferred in Fall 2008 or thereafter. A grade of “C-” is not acceptable.
2. This curriculum guide is subject to change based on WSU start date.
3. *If you are interested in teaching Special Education at the Secondary Level, there may be additional requirements. Please contact your advisor.