Welcome to Art Therapy
The Art Therapy Program at Wayne State University prepares professional art therapists and counselors who are knowledgeable in art therapy and counseling theories and techniques, who can translate these theories into effective practice, and who have the commitment, competence, respect for diversity among all people and who ascribe to the highest ethical standards and practices.
Consistent with the College theme, and University mission, the Art Therapy Program prepares art therapists who are reflective, innovative, committed to their field, and who have the personal qualities necessary to help others acquire skills and understandings for quality of life. The program places special emphasis on providing art therapy service in urban areas, with opportunities to practice in Detroit and surrounding neighborhoods through service-learning course assignments, community service opportunities associated with ArtsCorpsDetroit and internships.
For a brochure describing the MA and M.Ed. programs, click here.
For information about the next Fall Art Therapy Workshop click here.
Art Therapy Workshop Adult Application
Art Therapy Workshop Child Application
To read the Winter 2014 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the Fall 2013 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the Winter 2013 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the Fall 2012 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the Spring 2012 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the W/Spring 11 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the F 11 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the F 10 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the W 10 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the F 09 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
To read the W 09 Art Education/Art Therapy departmental newsletter click here.
Calendar of Events
- Full List
- College of Education 2014 Teacher Certification Information Session - RSVP Today!
- September 2 2014Education, College ofIf you have a bachelor's degree in a field other than Education and would like to become a certified teacher, we invite you to attend an information meeting to learn more about the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and Post-Bachelor Certification Programs at WSU. Attendees must possess or be within one year of completing a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university. 2014 Meeting Schedule: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - Room 441 (Dean’s Conference Room) COE 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Saturday, July 12, 2014 - Room 10 COE 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Friday, September 19, 2014 - Room 10 COE 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- College of Education High Five Literacy Program
- September 2 2014College of EducationCollege of Education High Five Literacy Program LOOKING FOR HELP IN READING AND WRITING FOR YOUR CHILDREN? The High Five Literacy Program at Wayne State University is open to students in grades 1-8. The program will provide FREE tutoring in reading and writing skills on Wednesdays from October 2014 through April 2015. Tutors are graduate students completing a master’s program in reading under the supervision of faculty in the Reading, Language, and Literature Program. To Enroll in the High Five Literacy Program Contact Renee at 313-577-1742, who will send an application form or download the form click on link for more information and download an application: http://coe.wayne.edu/ted/reading/tutoring_program.php Attendance in the program on a regular basis will benefit both your child and the tutor. Two (2) or more absences will result in your child being withdrawn for the program. It is the parent or guardians responsibility to call and report absences. APPLICANTS ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM WILL BE CONTACTED BY PHONE WITH THE STARTING DATE. Due to overwhelming responses, we will be unable to contact each parent of applicants. The program can accommodate a limited number of students, therefore, students will be selected on a first-come, first serve basis. Students who are not selected will be placed on a waiting list until the next opening is available for the 2014-2015 school years. Applicants must reapply each school year. Where is Program Located? Sessions will be held at Wayne State University’s (Downtown Detroit Location) College of Education. Transportation to and from tutoring sessions is the responsibility of the student’s parent or guardian. Parking is available in Parking Structure No. 2, located on Anthony Wayne Drive, for $7.00. There is often metered street parking available as well The dates for the program are as follows: Beginning October 2014 – April 2015 Times 5:15 pm – 6:30 pm YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED IF YOUR CHILD IS ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM!
- Apply Now for the 2014 Fall Art Therapy Workshop
- September 2 2014 at 12:00 PMCommunity Arts BuldingAn art therapy 10-week workshop for children and adults, and a practicum experience for graduate art therapy students, supervised by faculty members who are registered art therapists.
- Success Track School Supply Drive
- September 2 2014 at 2:00 PMEducation, College ofThe Success Track Learning Community in the College of Education will be hosting a school supply drive for local children in need through the Michigan Friends of Education: Operation Kid Equip. There will be bins located in the lobby of the College of Education on Thursday, August 28th and Tuesday, September 2nd. A bin will also be in 489 COE until Friday, September 12th. Suggested items to donate include: Crayons Pencils Pens Markers (washable) Scissors (blunt-tip) Rulers Glue Sticks Erasers Backpacks We look forward to seeing you there!
- More Events