Doctor of Education (Ed.D.)
The Doctor of Education is considered the practitioner's highest degree. The Ed.D. dissertation centers on field studies or applied research, such as the determination of best practices.
For the admission requires see the Wayne State University Graduate Catalog.
GPA Requirements are for the program:
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and a Master's GPA of 3.5 are required for admission to the Ph.D. program in most circumstances.
- Requirements for the Ed.D. program are more flexible. Recent admittance to the Ed.D. program had an undergraduate GPA of approximately 2.8 and Master's GPA of about 3.3.
- All undergraduate and Master's majors are acceptable for the Ph.D. and Ed.D. programs.
Plan of Work
In addition to 30 credits of post baccalaureate work (e.g., Master's degree), Ed.D. students must earn:
- 6 credits in doctoral seminar courses;
- 10 credits in required core courses;
- 20 credits in doctoral dissertation (ED 9999);
- Additional course work in the major selected in consolation with the advisor.
- Total minimum credits for the Ed. D. is 90.
Doctoral students must complete and submit a Plan of Work in consultation with their advisors prior to the completion of eighteen credits. Failure to file a Plan of Work will preclude further registration.
Required Core Courses for all Ed.D. EER Majors
- EER 7630 - Fundamentals of Statistics 3 Cr.
- EER 7650 - Computer Use in Research 3 Cr.
- EER 7650 - Variance and Covariance Analysis 4 Cr.
Total Credits in Core Courses: 10 Cr.
- EER 7610 - Evaluation and Measurement 3 Cr. (Offered online minimum once per academic year.)
- EER 8760 - Advanced Measurement 3 Cr.
- EER 8820 - Multivariate Analysis 4 Cr.
- EER 8840 - Structural Equations 4 Cr.
- EER 8860 - Nonparametric, Permutation, Exact, and Robust Methods 4 Cr.
- EER 8992 - Research and Experimental Design 3 Cr.
Total Credits in Quantitative Track: 21 Cr.
- EER 7870 - Fundamentals of Qualitative Research 3 Cr.
- EER 7880 - Fundamentals of Ethnographic Research 3 Cr.
- EER 8700 - Advanced Qualitative Evaluation: Theory and Practice 4 Cr.
- EER 8710 - Advanced Ethnographic Research 4 Cr.
- EER 8900 - Qualitative Design for School Research 3 Cr.
- EER 8910 - Practicum in Evaluation 5 Cr.
Total Credits in Qualitative Track: 21 Cr.