Roland Sintos Coloma
241 College of Education
Office Hours: by appointment
- Ph.D., Cultural Studies in Education | Minor in African American and African Studies, The Ohio State University
- M.A., Cultural Studies in Education, The Ohio State University
- Teaching Credential, English (CLAD), California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- M.A., Educational Administration, University of California, Riverside
- B.A., Liberal Studies, University of California, Riverside
Leadership in Academic Organizations
- President-Elect and Annual Meeting Chair - American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- Program Co-Chair, Division G: Social Context of Education - American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Editor - Educational Studies journal (2014-17)
- Chair - Department of Teacher Education, Northern Kentucky University
- Chair - Department of Teacher Education, Miami University (Ohio)
- Associate Chair and Graduate Coordinator - Department of Social Justice Education, OISE University of Toronto (Canada)
- Co-Director - Centre for Integrative Anti-Racism Studies, OISE University of Toronto (Canada)
Other Prior Employment
- Teacher, English - Los Angeles High School, Baldwin Park High School, and Ramona High School (California)
- Coordinator, Asian Pacific Student Programs Office - University of California, Riverside
urban and global education | curriculum and policy | history and post-critical theory | race, gender, and sexuality | Filipino/a/x and Asian diasporas
Recent Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Scholar Award - Research on the Education of Asian and Pacific Americans SIG, American Educational Research Association (2017)
- Outstanding Faculty Award - Black Faculty and Staff Association, Northern Kentucky University (2017)
- Visiting Scholar - University of Sydney, Australia (2016)
- Article of the Year Award - Queer Studies SIG, American Educational Research Association (2015)
- Coloma, R.S., & Pon, G. (Eds.). (2017). Asian Canadian studies reader. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Coloma, R.S., McElhinny, B., Tungohan, E., Catungal, J.P., & Davidson, L. (Eds.). (2012). Filipinos in Canada: Disturbing invisibility. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Coloma, R.S. (Ed.). (2009). Postcolonial challenges in education. New York: Peter Lang.
Select Journal Articles
- Coloma, R.S. (2019). Setting theory to work in history of education. History of Education Review.
- Hepburn, S., & Coloma, R.S. (2019). Ageing transmigrants and the decolonisation of life course. International Journal of Lifelong Education.
- Coloma, R.S. (2018). Queering Asian Canada: Troubling family, generation, and community. Asian Diasporic Visual Cultures and the Americas, 4(1-2), 89-113.
- Coloma, R.S. (2017). "We are here because you were there": On curriculum, empire, and global migration. Curriculum Inquiry, 47(1), 92-102.
- Coloma, R.S. (2016). Becoming a problem: Imperial fix and Filipinos under United States rule in the early 1900s. Postcolonial Directions in Education, 5(2), 241-264.
- Coloma, R.S. (2015). "Students are once again 'numbers' instead of actual human beings": Teacher performance assessment and the governing of curriculum and teacher education. Journal of the Canadian Association for Curriculum Studies, 13(1), 5-35.
- Coloma, R.S. (2013). Empire: An analytical category for educational research. Educational Theory, 63(6), 639-657.
- Coloma, R.S. (2013). "Too Asian?": On racism, paradox, and ethno-nationalism. Discourse: Studies on the Cultural Politics of Education, 34(4), 579-598.
- Coloma, R.S. (2013). Ladlad and parrhesiastic pedagogy: Unfurling LGBT politics and education in the global South. Curriculum Inquiry, 43(4), 483-511.
- Coloma, R.S. (2012). White gazes, brown breasts: Imperial feminism and disciplining desires and bodies in colonial encounters. Paedagogica Historica, 48(2), 243-261.
- Coloma, R.S. (2011). Who's afraid of Foucault?: History, theory, and becoming subjects. History of Education Quarterly, 51(2), 184-210.