COE Upward Bound: Eligibility Requirements
- Students must be enrolled at either Western International High School or Cesar Chavez Academy High School.
- Students must come from a home where the parent/guardian's income meets the income criteria defined by the U.S. Department of Education (U.S.DOE), OR
- Students must come from a home where neither parent has completed a four-year college degree, OR
- Students must have an academic need for program services as determined by grade point average and state standardized test scores.
- Students must also have the academic desire to succeed in high school and college.
- Students must be a U.S. citizen or permanent-resident.
- If accepted, students must attend the required orientation session with at least one parent/guardian.
- Request an application from the COE Upward Bound Program
- Complete the student survey questions
- Each of the following must also be included in the application: One Completed Teacher/Counselor recommendation; most recent report card and MME scores.
- Student and Parent/Guardian signature
- Give the application to your school counselor or send it to the address noted below
Once the Application is Complete
- Upward Bound will review it to determine eligibility. If the student meets the eligibility requirements and if there is an opening, the student and parent/guardian will be invited to an interview session. Students will be selected based on academic need as well as their desire and commitment toward working in a structured and rigorous pre-college program.
- The COE Upward Bound cannot guarantee that every applicant will be accepted. COE Upward Bound acceptance is limited to the number of spaces available.If there are more applicants than spaces available, eligible applicants may be placed on a wait list and enrolled at the discretion of COE Upward Bound in accordance with U.S. DOE requirements. Applicants who do not meet the eligibility requirements will be notified in writing.
Trial Membership Period
Applicants who meet all eligibility requirements will be invited to attend a mandatory new student orientation session with at least one parent/guardian. A 60 trial period will begin once both students and parents/guardian decide to enter into the membership agreement. If the trial member has met all COE Upward Bound responsibilities, maintained minimum academic standards, and positive citizenship and behavior in school and at COE Upward Bound activities, the trial member will be offered full membership in the COE Upward Bound program.