Roland Sintos Coloma
241 College of Education
Office Hours: by appointment
- Ph.D., Cultural Studies in Education | Minor in African American and African Studies, The Ohio State University
- M.A., Cultural Studies in Education, The Ohio State University
- Teaching Credential, English (CLAD), California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- M.A., Educational Administration, University of California, Riverside
- B.A., Liberal Studies, University of California, Riverside
Leadership in Academic Organizations
- Past President - American Educational Studies Association [AESA] (2019-20)
- President (2018-19), President-elect and Annual Meeting Program Chair (2017-18), Vice President (2016-17)
- Program Co-Chair, Division G: Social Context of Education - American Educational Research Association [AERA] (2018-20)
- Editor - Educational Studies journal (2014-17)
Previous Administrative Experience
- Chair - Department of Teacher Education, Northern Kentucky University
- Chair - Department of Teacher Education, Miami University (Ohio)
- Associate Chair and Graduate Coordinator - Department of Social Justice Education, OISE University of Toronto (Canada)
- Co-Director - Centre for Integrative Anti-Racism Studies, OISE University of Toronto (Canada)
Other Prior Employment
- Teacher, English - Los Angeles High School, Baldwin Park High School, and Ramona High School (California)
- Coordinator, Asian Pacific Student Programs Office - University of California, Riverside
- Assistant Dean, Division of Teacher Education
- Co-Director, Kaplan Center for Research on Urban Education
- Principal Investigator, Metro Detroit Teaching Residency for Urban Excellence (TRUE) Project - funded by U.S. Department of Education ($1.1M, 2019-24)
- urban and global education
- teacher education, curriculum, and policy
- diversity and social justice: race, gender, and sexuality
- Filipino/a/x and Asian diasporas
- history and post-critical theory
- Best Edited Collection in Canadian Studies Prize for the Asian Canadian Studies Reader (with Gordon Pon) - Canadian Studies Network / Reseau d'etudes canadiennes (2019)
- Distinguished Service to Education and Community Award - National Ethnic Press and Media Council of Canada (2018)
- Distinguished Scholar Award - Research on the Education of Asian and Pacific Americans SIG, American Educational Research Association (2017)
- Outstanding Faculty Award - Black Faculty and Staff Association, Northern Kentucky University (2017)
- Visiting Scholar - University of Sydney, Australia (2016)
- Article of the Year Award - Queer Studies SIG, American Educational Research Association (2015)
- Principal Investigator, U.S. Department of Education, Teacher Quality Partnership – “Metro Detroit Teaching Residency for Urban Excellence (TRUE) Project” (2019–24 | $1,111,126)
- Principal Investigator, SSHRC Research Development Initiatives Grant – “From Grief to Grievance: Asian Canadian Demands to the Government” (2010–13 | $39,869)
- Principal Investigator, SSHRC Aid to Research Workshops and Conferences – “Spectres of In/visibility: Filipina/o Lives in Canada” (2009–11 | $16,512)
- Coloma, R.S., & Rhee, J. (Eds.). (forthcoming). Encyclopedia on diversity, social justice, and democracy. Oxford, UK: Elsevier.
- Coloma, R.S., & Pon, G. (Eds.). (2017). Asian Canadian studies reader. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Coloma, R.S., McElhinny, B., Tungohan, E., Catungal, J.P., & Davidson, L. (Eds.). (2012). Filipinos in Canada: Disturbing invisibility. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Coloma, R.S. (Ed.). (2009). Postcolonial challenges in education. New York: Peter Lang.
Select Journal Articles
- Coloma, R.S. (in press). Decolonizing urban education. Educational Studies.
- Coloma, R.S. (in press). Unresolved feelings: Notes on pleasure and pain from an accidental educator. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education.
- Hepburn, S., & Coloma, R.S. (2019). Ageing transmigrants and the decolonisation of life course. International Journal of Lifelong Education, 38(1), 48-66.
- Coloma, R.S. (2019). Setting theory to work in history of education. History of Education Review, 47(1), 40-53.
- Coloma, R.S. (2018). Queering Asian Canada: Troubling family, generation, and community. Asian Diasporic Visual Cultures and the Americas, 4(1-2), 89-113.
- Coloma, R.S. (2017). "We are here because you were there": On curriculum, empire, and global migration. Curriculum Inquiry, 47(1), 92-102.
- Coloma, R.S. (2016). Becoming a problem: Imperial fix and Filipinos under United States rule in the early 1900s. Postcolonial Directions in Education, 5(2), 241-264.
- Coloma, R.S. (2015). "Students are once again 'numbers' instead of actual human beings": Teacher performance assessment and the governing of curriculum and teacher education. Journal of the Canadian Association for Curriculum Studies, 13(1), 5-35.
- Coloma, R.S. (2013). Empire: An analytical category for educational research. Educational Theory, 63(6), 639-657.
- Coloma, R.S. (2013). "Too Asian?": On racism, paradox, and ethno-nationalism. Discourse: Studies on the Cultural Politics of Education, 34(4), 579-598.
- Coloma, R.S. (2013). Ladlad and parrhesiastic pedagogy: Unfurling LGBT politics and education in the global South. Curriculum Inquiry, 43(4), 483-511.
- Coloma, R.S. (2012). White gazes, brown breasts: Imperial feminism and disciplining desires and bodies in colonial encounters. Paedagogica Historica, 48(2), 243-261.
- Coloma, R.S. (2011). Who's afraid of Foucault?: History, theory, and becoming subjects. History of Education Quarterly, 51(2), 184-210.