Christopher B. Crowley
Office Hours: By appointment.
- Ph.D., Curriculum & Instruction, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S.Ed., Reading/Writing/Literacy, University of Pennsylvania
- B.A., English/Writing; Sociology, St. Lawrence University
Crowley's primary area of research is in the field of curriculum studies and focuses on issues of privatization in teacher education. His research critically examines how various stakeholders including non-profit organizations, philanthropic foundations, the for-profit sector and others are becoming increasingly involved in multiple aspects of teacher education. His research has appeared in journals such as Teaching and Teacher Education, Review of Research in Education, Teacher Education & Practice, Schools: Studies in Education and in several edited volumes.
Area Of Expertise
- Curriculum Theory
- Teacher Education
- Politics of Education Reform
- Literacy Education
- Teacher Research/Practitioner Inquiry
- TED 8270 - Seminar: Issues in Curriculum and Instruction (The Study of Teaching and Teacher Education)
- TED 8200 - Doctoral Seminar: Education in Socio-Political Culture
- TED 7000 - Introductory Master's Seminar
- ED 7999 - Terminal Master's Seminar and Essay or Project
- RLL 7300 - Literacy Across the Curriculum
- RLL 6121 - Reading in the Content Areas: 6-12
Wayne State University College of Education Faculty Teaching Award
- The Discursive Politics of Education Policy in China: the Case of Educating Migrant Children.
Yu, M., & Crowley, C. B. (in press). The China Quarterly.
- Professional development as product implementation training.
Crowley, C. B. 2017 Teaching and Teacher Education, 67.
- Reimagining Critical Care and Problematizing Sense of School Belonging as a Response to Inequality for Immigrants and Children of Immigrants.
DeNicolo, C. P., Yu, M., Crowley, C. B., & Gabel, S. 2017 Review of Research in Education, 41 (1).
- Review of The Global Testing Culture: Shaping Education Policy, Perceptions, and Practice.
Crowley, C. B. & Yu, M. 2017. Teachers College Record.
- Teach For/Future China and the politics of alternative teacher certification programs in China.
Crowley, C. B. 2016 In Lim, L. & Apple, M. W. (eds.), The Strong State and Curriculum Reform. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Review of Teaching Comparative Education: Trends and Issues Informing Practice.
Yu, M. & Crowley, C. B. 2016 Teachers College Record.
- Public higher education under attack in the United States.
Crowley, C. B. & Knoester, M. 2012 In Knoester M. (ed.), International Struggles for Critical Democratic Education. New York, NY: Peter Lang.
- Critical democracy in teacher education.
Crowley, C. B. & Apple, M. W. 2009 Teacher Education & Practice, 22 (4).
- A starting point for practitioner inquiry: A review of The Reflective Educator’s Guide to Classroom Research.
Crowley, C. B. 2009 Networks: An Online Journal for Teacher Research, 11 (2).
- Descriptive review of the child: “Aisha.”
Crowley, C. B. 2008 Schools: Studies in Education, 5 (1/2).