Lila Murphy Gutuskey
Office Hours: By appointment.
Ph.D. in Kinesiology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 2016
M.Ed. in Community Health, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 2012
B.A. in Finance, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, 2001
Lila Gutuskey completed her PhD in Kinesiology in the College of Education at Wayne State University in 2016. She received her Bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University in 2001 and a Master’s of Education Degree in Community Health from Wayne State University in 2012. She maintained a 4.0 grade point average and received numerous awards during her time at Wayne State, including the American Education Research Association (AERA) Research on Learning and Instruction in Physical Education SIG Exemplary Paper Award, Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE) 21st Century Student Scholarship, and the College of Education Hubert and Elsie Watson Scholarship.
Her expertise encompasses health behavior programming and evaluation with low-income and ethnic minority populations, utilizing social ecological and empowerment theoretical approaches. She has implemented and evaluated health programs working with toddlers, children, adolescents, adults, and seniors in school and community settings.
Lila is co-owner of Healthy Kids Evaluation Services, where she partners with organizations to design and conduct meaningful assessment, process, and outcome evaluations, utilizing a variety of qualitative and quantitative techniques. Additionally, Lila offers grant writing and program design services.
Area Of Expertise
- Grant writing
- Youth empowerment approaches to health interventions
- Policy, systems, and environmental change approaches to health interventions
- Quantiative and qualitative program evaluation
- Community health program design and implementation
Community Engagement Activities
Board Member, Peace Education Center, East Lansing, MI
- The impact of completing a health methods class on pre-service teachers' self-efficacy and intent to teach health.
Fahlman, M.M., Hall, H.L., & *Gutuskey, L.* 2013 American Journal of Health Education 44
- Physical activity change through comprehensive physical activity programs in urban elementary schools
Centeio, E., McCaughtry, N., *Gutuskey, L.*, Garn, A., Somers, C., Shen, B., Martin, J., & Kulik, N. 2014 Journal of Teaching in Physical Education 33
- Minority youth, physical activity and fitness levels: Targeted interventions needed
Fahlman, M.M., Hall, H.L., & *Gutuskey, L.* 2015 American Journal of Health Education 46
- The RD parent empowerment and supplemental food pilot program for improved food security, nutrition, and family behaviors.
Knoblack-Hahn, A., Medrow, L., Hand, R., *Gutuskey, L.*, & Brown, K. 2016 Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- The Role and Impact of Student Leadership on Participants in a Healthy Eating and Physical Activity Programme
*Gutuskey, L.*, McCaughtry, N., Shen, B., Centeio, E., & Garn, A. 1 2016 Health Education Journal 75