Office Hours: By appointment.
Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey, 1993.
B.S., Mathematics Education.
Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1996.
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 1999.
M.A., Mathematics Education.
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2001.
Ph. D., Mathematics Education.
Teaching Certification, Secondary Mathematics (Grades 9-12), Turkey.
Teacher Education, Secondary Mathematics Education
- The Use of Technology in Mathematics Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Secondary mathematics methods courses
- Master's and doctoral mathematics education courses
- Mathematics courses for middle school mathematics teachers
COE Faculty Research Award
President's Awards for Excellence in Teaching
Career Development Chair Award
Outstanding Paper Award in Mathematics Education, International Conference of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education.
National Technology Leadership Initiative (NTLI) Fellowship sponsored by Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
- Student Success Through Evidence-Based Pedagogies (SSTEPs)
2015 - 2020
- Noyce Mathematics Fellows, TeachDETROIT
2015 - 2020
- REALM: Realizing Equity and Achievement for Learning Mathematics
2016 - 2017
- WSU - Student Success Through Evidence-based Pedagogies (WSU-SSTEPs)
2016 - 2018
- Improving Proportional Reasoning Instruction through eNgineering Tasks (IMPRINT)
2013 - 2015
- Mathematics enhancement for Detroit area teachers (MEDeATe)
2012 - 2014
- Working with dynamic digital student work as becoming a teacher
2013 - 2014
- An Experimentation Laboratory for Preservice Mathematics and Science Teachers: Real and Virtual Time Data Collection and Analysis
2011 - 2012
- Early-Stage Research on Instruction with the TI-Nspire Handheld. Teachers learning and designing with technology: Quality and portability
2007 - 2007
- The Effects of New Generation of Handheld Calculators in Mathematics Education
2009 - 2010
- Strategically fostering dynamic interactive environments.
*Özgün-Koca, S. A.* 2016 Mathematics Teacher 110(2)
- Fostering perseverance.
Lewis, J. M., & *Özgün-Koca, S. A.* 2016 Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 22(2)
- What's your answer? Searching for triangles.
Meagher, M., Edwards, M. T., & *Özgün-Koca, S. A.* 2016 Mathematics Teacher 109(7)
- The shift from “learner/doer of mathematics” to “teacher of mathematics”: A heuristic for teacher candidates.
Meagher, M., Edwards, M. T., & *Özgün-Koca, S. A.* 2013 Mathematics Teacher Education and Development 15
- Developing prospective teachers' knowledge to foster and inspire reasoning in STEM.
Grueber, D., & *Özgün-Koca, S. A.* 2013 Teacher Education and Practice 26
- Linking LEGO and algebra.
*Özgün-Koca, S. A.*, Edwards, T. G., & Chelst, K. 2015 Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 20
- Students’ mathematical conjectures when interacting with a mobile device.
*Özgün-Koca, S. A.*, & Edwards, T. G. 2015 Chapter in Mobile Learning and Mathematics: Foundations, Design, and Case Studies
- Preservice teachers' experiences with advanced digital technologies: The interplay between technology in a preservice classroom and in field placements.
Meagher, M., *Özgün-Koca, S. A.*, & Edwards, M. T. 2011 Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education 11
- Hands-on, minds-on or both? A discussion of the development of a mathematics activity by using virtual and physical manipulatives.
*Özgün-Koca, S. A.*, & Edwards, T. 2011 urnal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching 30
- Interpreting box plots with multiple linked representations
*Özgün-Koca, S. A.*, & Edwards, T. G. 2013 Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 18
- Controlling inventory: Real-world mathematical modeling.
Edwards, T. G., *Özgün-Koca, S. A.*, & Chelst, K. R. 2013 Mathematics Teacher 107
- Spaghetti sine curves: Virtual environments for reasoning and sense making
*Özgün-Koca, S. A.*, Edwards, M. T., & Meagher, M. 2013 Mathematics Teacher 107
- Exercise Away the Big Mac: Ratios, rates, and proportions in context
*Özgün-Koca, S. A.*, Edwards, T. G., & Chelst, K 2013 Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 19
- A teacher's journey with a new generation handheld: Decisions, struggles, and accomplishments
*Ozgun-Koca, S. A.*, Meagher, M., & Edwards, M. T. 2011 School Science and Mathematics 111
- Virtual data collection for algebraic generalizations
*Ozgun-Koca, S. A.*, & Edwards, T. G. 2011 Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 16
- Using TI-Nspire to enhance the teaching of a geometric theorem
Edwards, T. G., & *Ozgun-Koca, S. A.* 2010 Journal of the Research Center for Educational Technology 6(2)
- Mathematics teacher TPACK standards and development model
Niess, M. L., Ronau, R. N., Shafer, K. G., Driskell, S. O., Harper S. R., Johnston, C., Browning, C., *Ozgun-Koca, S. A.*, & Kersaint, G. 2009 Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education 9(1)
- Creating a mathematical "B" Movie: The effect of b on the graph of a quadratic
Edwards, T. G. & *Ozgun-Koca, S. A.* 2009 Mathematics Teacher 103
- An investigation of proportional reasoning skills of middle school students
*Ozgun-Koca, S. A*. & Kayhan, M. 2009 Investigations in Mathematics Learning 2
- The views of pre-service teachers about the strengths and limitations of the use of graphing calculators in mathematics instruction
*Ozgun-Koca, S. A.* 2009 Journal of Technology and Teacher Education 17(2)
- Drawing a regression line between spaghetti and basketball
*Ozgun-Koca, S. A.* & Edwards, T. G. 2010 Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 16
- A historical perspective from a to c
Edwards, T. G. & *Ozgun-Koca, S. A.* 2010 Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 15
- Prospective teachers' views on the use of calculators with Computer Algebra System in algebra instruction
*Ozgun-Koca, S. A.* 2010 Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education 12