Office Hours: Via email at email@example.com.
- Ph.D. University of Michigan
- ATR-BC Registered, Board Certified Art Therapist
Dr. Holly Feen-Calligan completed a Ph.D. in Education at the University of Michigan, and she has a master's degree in Art Therapy from Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio. She has coordinated the Art Therapy Programs at Wayne State University for 27 years. Prior to her Wayne State career, she was an art therapist working in adult psychiatry, closed head injury, and chemical dependency treatment programs. Dr. Feen-Calligan is an active member of the American Art Therapy Association (AATA). Her service includes nine years as Associate Editor of Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, two terms on the Education Program Approval Board, one term as Faculty Convener of the Coalition of Art Therapy Educators, and member of the Nominating Committee. In 2014 she was awarded the AATA's Rawley Silver Research Award, and in 2015 the AATA's Distinguished Service Award.
Holly coordinates the Art Therapy Programs (including the MEd in Art Education/Art Therapy, and the MA in Counseling/Art Therapy).
Service-learning (particularly arts based service-learning)
*Benefits of service-learning to students and community partners
•Community art therapy
•Understanding the experiences of various constituent groups participating in art therapy, such as people who are homeless or in the treatment for substance use disorders
•Art based research methods
In recent years, Holly has taught the art therapy program’s research classes (TED 7000 and ED 7999), Internship Seminar, AED 7890, and AED 6320: Art Therapy: Introduction and Ethics.
Community Engagement Activities
Saturday Art Therapy Workshop, Founder, Coordinator
American Art Therapy Association Distinguished Service Award
American Art Therapy Association Rawley Silver Research Award
- Art based service-learning in ArtCorpsDetroit
Barton, E., *Feen-Calligan, H.*, & Jackson, M. 10 2012 Mid America College Art Association
- Get it Published! Successful Strategies for Publication of Practice-based Research
Kapitan, L. & *Feen-Calligan, H.* 7 2014 American Art Therapy Association, San Antonio, Texas
- How does artmaking inform service-learning in an art therapy graduate program?
*Feen-Calligan, H.* , Ruttinger, K., Timm, K. & Webster, E. 7 2016 American Art Therapy Association, Baltimore, MD
- The “Art Alive” Project: Beginning Art Therapy at a Community Center
*Feen-Calligan, H.,* & Conley-Berry, J. 7 2015 American Art Therapy Association, Minneapolis, MN.
- Pre-professional art based service-learning in music education and art therapy
Matthews, W. & *Feen-Calligan, H.* 2016 National Association for Music Education, Atlanta, GA
- Creative Action As Collective Action
*Holly Feen* 4 2017 Wisconsin Art Therapy Association-keynote
- ArtsCorpsDetroit:A community based participatory action research project
Feen-Calligan, H. 2013 INternational Art Therapy conference, London
- Promoting Healthy Communities through Art Therapy, Photovoice and ArtsCorpsDetroit Community Partnerships
*Feen-Calligan, H.* & Moreno, J. 2013 American Art Therapy Association conference
- ArtsCorpsDetroit: Preliminary findings from an art based service-learning research study
*Feen-Calligan, H.*, Faruolo, E., and Moreno, J. 7 2012 American Art Therapy Association
- Engaging the arts, humanities and design in action research: Lessons learned from two projects
Moxley, D., *Feen-Calligan, H.*, & Washington, O. 2013 ALARA (Action Learning, Action Research Association) Monograph Series 4
- The Use of Art Therapy in Detoxification from Substance Use Disorders
Feen-Calligan, H. Art and Expressive Therapies within a Medical Model: Clinical Applications in-press, 2017
- Art therapy, homelessness and poverty
Feen-Calligan, H. 2015 Art Therapy: A Comprehensive Resource
- The relationship between spiritual resources and life attitudes of African American homeless women.
Gash, J., Washington, O.G.M., Moxley, D., & Feen-Calligan, H. 2014 Issues in Mental Health Nursing 35
- Arts-inspired design in the development of human service interventions.
Moxley, D. P., & *Feen-Calligan, H. * 2015 British Journal of Social Work. 14-132
- Positioning the arts for intervention design research in the human services.
Moxley D., & *Feen-Calligan, H.* 2015 Evaluation and Program Planning 53
- Pre-professional arts based service-learning in music education and art therapy
*Feen-Calligan, H.* & Matthews, M. 2016 International Journal of Education and the Arts, 17
- Narrative Insight into Risk, Vulnerability and Resilience among Older Homeless African American Women.
Moxley, D., Washington, O., *Feen-Calligan, H.* 2012 Arts in Psychotherapy 39
- The Relationship Between Spiritual Resources and Life Attitudes of African American Homeless Women
Gash, J., Washington, O.G.M., Moxley, D., & *Feen-Calligan, H.* 2014 Issues in Mental Health Nursing 35
- Perceptions of professional identity of counseling and art therapy graduates.
*Feen-Calligan, H.* 12 2012 Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association 29 (4)
- Lessons learned from three projects linking social work, the arts, and humanities
Moxley, D. M., *Feen-Calligan, H.*, & Washington, O.G.M. 9 2012 Social Work Education 31
- The Quilting Workshop as Self-Efficacy Group Work with Older African American Women Transitioning Out of Homelessness
Moxley, D., *Feen-Calligan, H.,* Washington, O., & Garriott, L. 2011 . Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association 28
- Linking personal qualifications with education standards
*Feen-Calligan, H.* 2007 Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association 24
- The use of Art Therapy in detoxification from chemical addiction
*Feen-Calligan, H.* 2007 Canadian Art Therapy Association Journal 20
- Piloting an online art therapy course
*Feen-Calligan, H.* 2008 Journal of Computing in Higher Education 19(2)
- Service-learning and art therapy in a homeless shelter
*Feen-Calligan, H.* 2008 The Arts in Psychotherapy 35
- The social action art installation as educational forum: Fostering awareness of the lived experience among older African-American homeless women
Moxley, D., Washington, O. & *Feen-Calligan, H.* 2008 Journal of Cultural Research in Art Education 26
- Use of art work as a visual processing modality in group treatment of chemically dependent minority women
*Feen-Calligan, H.*, Washington, O. & Moxley, D. 2008 The Arts in Psychotherapy 35
- Evaluation of an art therapy workshop: Client perceptions and future directions
* Feen-Calligan, H.* & Nevedal, D. 2008 Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association 25(4)
- Art therapy applications of dolls in grief recovery, professional identity, and community service
*Feen-Calligan, H.*, McIntyre, B. & Sands-Goldstein, M. 2009 Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association 26 (4)
- Helping older African American women who are homeless through visual images and creative strategies
Washington, O.G.M., *Feen-Calligan, H.*, & Moxley, D. 2009 Visual Culture & Gender 4
- Homelessness among older African American women: Interpreting a serious social issue through the arts in community-based participatory action research
*Feen-Calligan, H.*, Washington, O. & Moxley, D. 2009 New Solutions 19 (4)