Plan of Work
Minimum 30 semester credits
Minimum 12 semester hours
- ELE 6500 - Science Curriculum: Preprimary-8 3 Cr.
- SCE 5010 - Biological Sciences for Elementary & Middle School Teachers 3 Cr.
- SCE 5020 - Physical Sciences for Elementary & Middle School Teachers 3 Cr.
- SCE 5030 - Earth/Space Sciences for Elementary & Middle School Teachers 3 Cr.
- SCE 5040 - Field Course in Exploring the Natural Environment 3 Cr.
- SCE 5060 - Methods and Materials of Instruction in Secondary Science I 3 Cr.
- SCE 5070 - Methods and Materials of Instruction in Secondary Science II 3 Cr.
- SCE 6030 - Advanced Studies in Teaching Science in Jr. High & Middle School 3 Cr.
- SCE 6040 - Advanced Studies in Teaching Science in High School 3 Cr.
- SCE 6080 - Teaching Environmental Studies 3 Cr.
- SCE 7010* - Special Topics in Science Education 3 Cr.
Note: *SCE 7010 may be taken twice (on different topics) for a total of 6 credits
Minimum 9 semester hours
Students are required to take a minimum of nine semester hours of coursework in areas related to science education. These courses are selected in consultation with the advisor and may come from areas within the Teacher Education Division, other divisions of the College of Education, and from the College of Science.
Directed Study and Research
To be Decided in Consultation with Advisor
Students who did not have a research experience similar to the master’s seminars (TED 7000 and ED 7999) should take these seminars. Students who had these seminars or equivalent experiences may submit and have approved by their advisor a field research or directed study of 2-6 semester hours in partial fulfillment of the requirement. The directed study may include science research experiences in a laboratory or in the field.
Minimum Credit Hours Above 7000
At least 10 semester hours of coursework must be taken in courses numbered 7000 and above.
Application for Completion/Certificate
Education Specialist Certificates are awarded upon successful completion of all program requirements. Application for the certificate must be made no later than the tenth day of classes for the semester in which the requirements are to be completed.