College of Education Level 1: Completing University & College Requirements
Admission to the College of Education is based on two levels. Students are directly admitted to the College of Education Level 1 from high school or another institution of higher learning by completing an admission application to the University, selection of a College of Education program on the admission application, and acceptance to Wayne State University. Level 1 students are working to fulfill the requirements found on pages 2 through 5 of this guide, which includes General Education Requirements, College Requirements (the Elementary Planned Program or Comprehensive Major), and the requirements for admission to Level 2. Students in Level 1 also begin taking courses in their teaching major and minor (see pages 5-10).
In Level 1, students focus primarily on completing General Education requirements, the Planned Program or Comprehensive Major, and most coursework in the major and/or minor. Students will complete the remaining major/minor coursework and the Professional Education Sequence in Level 2.
Level 1 students will be required to take an introductory course in the Teacher Education Division (TED):
- TED 2550 Becoming an Urban Educator 3 Cr.
College of Education Level 2: The Professional Education Sequence
Admission to the College of Education Level 2 program requires a separate College application, which is available online or in Academic Services, Room 469, College of Education.
Students complete the Level 2 application when all Level 2 admission requirements have been fulfilled (see page 5). Admission to Level 2 is not competitive. Students meeting all requirements will be admitted. Students in Level 2 have access to the Professional Education Sequence (see page 12). The Professional Education Sequence may be completed in two years and most students begin Level 2 during their junior year. The Professional Education Sequence for students in the Early Childhood and Special Education program will require an additional semester to complete a second student teaching experience.
In order to apply to the Professional Education Sequence (Level 2), students must complete the following requirements:
- Completion of at least 53 semester hours.
- Completion of MAT 1110 and MAT 1120 or appropriate prerequisite math course (MAT 0995 or MAT 1050) in progress.
- Completion of TED 2250.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.50.
- Completion of Intermediate Composition.
- Completion of Math Competency.
- A passing score on each of the three sections of the MTTC Basic Skills Test #96. The three sections on the Basic Skills Test are Mathematics, Reading, and Writing. Study guides are available on the MTTC website or in 469 Education. A test score reported directly to Wayne State University is required.
- A copy of a negative tuberculosis (TB) test (within the last three years).
- Verification of 40 hours of successful group work with children. The State defines a group as three (3) or more children (not your own) between the ages of 3 and 18. The group work experience must be within five years of the time of admission to Level 2. Verification forms can be found within the Level 2 Application.
- A current (within the last six months) statewide Criminal History Check.
- All transcripts.
- A completed Level 2 Application.
- Students with complete applications will be invited to attend a mandatory COE Orientation (final requirement for admission to Level 2).
The deadlines for application to Level 2 are February 1, June 1, and October 1 for admission in the next semester.