Master of Arts - Secondary

The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree is designed for individuals with a bachelor's degree who seek to be certified to teach a Career & Technical Education occupational area in grades 6-12. Students in this program receive the Michigan Secondary Provisional Teaching Certification while earning credits toward the Master of Arts in Teaching Degree (M.A.T.)

The M.A.T. program consists of graduate level courses (several involving work with children in a school setting) and a student teaching experience for a minimum of one University semester. A State competency examination will be required in both the major and minor content areas before student teaching (TED 5780 Directed Teaching and Conference).

The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in an area of Career & Technical Education provides educators with a teaching certificate (grades 6-12) in the areas in which they have a major and minor(s). After completing all the requirements educators also receive a master's degree which will allow them to transition from a provisionary to a professional teaching certificate. The research skills acquired in this program are an important aspect of the education professional's growth and essential to those interested in taking on leadership roles and/or pursuing a doctorate in the future.

Admission Requirements

Minimum Entrance Requirements

  • A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
  • Grade point average of 2.75 or above for upper division undergraduate work (Applicants with an undergraduate grade point average below 2.75 must have a grade point average of 3.4 or above in their master's degree work).
  • A major in an occupational area related to Career & Technical Education.
  • Three years of successful teaching experience or the equivalent.

Admission Procedures

Applicants who are interested in applying for this program should create an online application at For questions about admission requirements for the CTE MAT program, contact Academic Services at (313) 577-1601.

Plan of Work

Students will work with their Graduate advisor to file an official Plan of Work.

Student Teaching/Practicum/Internship

Students must take and pass both their major and minor content area exams prior to student teaching. Your student teaching placement will be arranged through the Office of Clinical Experiences, Room 221, Education Building.