Welcome to the Bilingual/Bicultural Education Program. Within this program area students can pursue the Bilingual Education emphasis or the English as a Second Language emphasis, both of which can lead to endorsements. Students in the Bilingual/Bicultural Education program may also choose to become either teachers of English as a second language (ESL) or teachers of English as a foreign language (EFL).
The Bilingual Endorsement certifies a teacher who is qualified to teach classes of bilingual children. Students qualifying for an initial provisional certificate complete a twenty-four credit minor for the endorsement. Students holding existing certificates may add a bilingual endorsement by completing a twenty-one credit planned program. Information and referral to the appropriate adviser for this endorsement may be obtained in rooms 468 and 489 Education Building.
All students in the bilingual-bicultural program must complete the language proficiency examinations in English and the designated language of his/her individual program prior to taking courses for this minor.
English as a Second Language Endorsement
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Endorsement certifies a teacher who is qualified to teach learners with limited English proficiency. Students holding existing certificates may add an ESL endorsement by completing a twenty-one credit planned program. Information and referral to the appropriate adviser may be obtained in rooms 469 and 489 Education Building.
Language Education - Foreign Language Major or Minor
The Language Education program certifies a teacher who is qualified to teach a foreign language. Elementary certification languages are: Chinese Language and Culture, French, Italian, Latin and Spanish. Secondary certification languages are Chinese Language and Culture, French, German Italian, Latin, Russian and Spanish. Arabic will also be offered beginning Winter, 2012.
Chinese Language and Culture
The Chinese Language and Culture program is especially designed for students from China to come to WSU and obtain a degree and a teaching certificate in Chinese-Mandarin. It is, however, also open to U.S. residents who wish to teach Chinese at the elementary or secondary level.
Calendar of Events
- Full List
- College of Education 2014 Teacher Certification Meeting Schedule - RSVP Today!
- March 7 2014Education, College ofIf you have a bachelor's degree in a field other than Education and would like to become a certified teacher, we invite you to attend an information meeting to learn more about the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and Post-Bachelor Certification Programs at WSU. Attendees must possess or be within one year of completing a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university. Please bring legible copies of all transcripts. 2014 Meeting Schedule: Saturday, January 25, 2014 - Room 10 COE 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, February 5, 2014 – University Center (Macomb Extension Center) 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Thursday, February 20, 2014 - Room 441 (Dean’s Conference Room) COE 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 16, 2014 – Oakland Extension Center 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Saturday, May 10, 2014 - Room 10 COE 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - Room 441 (Dean’s Conference Room) COE 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Saturday, July 12, 2014 - Room 10 COE 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - Room 10 COE 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Friday, September 19, 2014 - Room 10 COE 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Final Defense for Jeffery Lip
- March 18 2014 at 11:00 AMEducation, College ofDoctor of Philosophy Candidate: Jeffery LipMajor: CounselingAdvisor: Dr. George ParrisCommittee: Dr. Arnold Coven, Dr. Stuart Itzkowitz and Dr. A. Antonio Gonzalez-PrendesDissertation: The Effects of a Career-Planning Course on Community College Students' Career Self-Efficacy and Career Indecisiveness
- Spring Open House
- March 22 2014 at 10:00 AMMain CampusOpen House is an exploratory program for prospective students to learn about the degree programs and student support services that Wayne State has to offer. Hear from our faculty, staff and students about what your future will be like as a Wayne State Warrior.
- FREE MTTC Professional Readiness Exam (PRE) Workshop
- March 22 2014 at 10:00 AMEducation, College ofAre you preparing to apply to Level 2 in the College of Education? Are you nervous about passing the Professional Readiness Exam (PRE)? WSU College of Education is offering FREE workshops to review the essential content, problem-solving skills, and test-taking strategies you need to help you be successful in preparing for your test. The dates (ALL times from 10 am to 3 pm in 30 Education): Saturday, March 1st (Fundamental Math Concepts) Saturday, March 22nd (Intermediate Math Concepts) Saturday, March 29th (Advance Math Concepts) Saturday, April 5th (Review for all Subtests) Space is limited!
- More Events
Interim Program Coordinator:
Dr. Sharon Elliott