365 Education Bldg.
Office Hours: Thursday 2:00 - 5:00 pm & By appointment.
Ph.D. (2019) Instructional Systems Technology, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN.
MS (2011) Educational Technology, Beijing Normal University, Beijing
BA (2008) Educational Technology, Shandong Normal University, Jinan
Online education, MOOCs, self-directed learning, STEM education, and active learning.
- LDT 6140 Designing Web Tools for the Classroom
- LDT 8100 Backgrounds, Issues, and Trends in Instructional Technology
Community Engagement Activities
- AECT Summer Symposium Intern, July 2019
- ISTE Tech-In-Action Award Committee, April 2019 - Present
- AECT Research & Theory Division Communications Officer Elect, March 2019 - Present
- Open Education 2019 Program Committee, Oct. 2018 - Present
- HKAECT Program Committee, July 2018 - Present
- AECT Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) Representative, March 2018 - Present
- Technical Supporter and Office Administrator, Member of Society of International Chinese in Educational Technology (SICET) 2017 - 2018
- Learning and Teaching with Technology Committee, Indiana University, School of Education (classroom technology evaluation team), 2018
- Parliamentarian at Graduate of Instructional Systems Technology (GIST), Indiana University, Aug. 2016-May. 2017
- Facilitation Team Leader in IST conference, Indiana University, 2016 - 2017
Journal Reviewer/Editorial Board Member
- Editorial board member of Distance Education, 2019 - Present
- Performance Improvement Quarterly (PIQ), 2019 - Present
- Frontiers Psychology, 2019
- Journal of Teaching and Learning with Technology (JoTLT), 2019
- Journal of Learning for Development (JL4D), 2019
- Computers & Education, 2018 - Present
- Online Learning Journal, 2018, 2019
- The Asia Pacific Education Review (APER), 2018
- The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning (IRRODL), 2017 - Present
- International Conference on Educational Innovation through Technology (EITT 2019), Biloxi, MS
- AECT proposal reviewer, 2016, 2017, 2019
- AERA proposal reviewer, 2018, 2019
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE), 2019
- IST Conference, Indiana University, 2016, 2018
- 2018 AECT Early Career Research Symposium Award, AECT
- 2018 Jerrold E. Kemp Instructional Systems Technology Fellowship Fund, Indiana University
- 2018 L.C. and Sharon Larson Fund, Indiana University
- 2018 OER Research Fellows, the Open Education Group.
- 2017 Jerrold E. Kemp Instructional Systems Technology Fellowship Fund, Indiana University
- 2017 L.C. and Sharon Larson Fund, Indiana University
- 2015-2019 School of Education Fellowship, Indiana University
- 2010 Academic Excellent Scholarship, Beijing Normal University
(* = peer reviewed)
- *Zhu, M., Basdogan, M., & Bonk, C. J. (2020). A Case Study of the Design Practices and Judgments of Novice Instructional Designers in Public Health Majors. Contemporary Educational Technology. 12(2), ep267. https://doi.org/10.30935/cedtech/7829
- *Zhu, M., Bonk, C. J., & Doo, M.-Y. (2020). Self-directed learning in MOOCs: Exploring the relationships among motivation, self-monitoring, and self-management. Educational Technology Research and Development (ETR&D). 1-21. doi: 10.1007/s11423-020-09747-8
- *Doo, M., Tang, Y., Bonk, C. J., & Zhu, M. (2020). A Mixed Methods Look at Motivation and Career Development of MOOC Instructors. Distance Education, 41(1). https://doi.org/10.1080/01587919.2020.1724770
- *Zhu, M., & Bonk, C. J. (2019). Designing MOOCs to facilitate participant self-monitoring for self-directed learning. Online Learning, 23(4), 106-134. doi:10.24059/olj.v23i4.2037. Available: https://olj.onlinelearningconsortium.org/index.php/olj/article/view/2037
- *Doo, M. Y., Zhu, M., Bonk, C. J., & Tang, Y. (2019). The Effects of Openness, Altruism, and Instructional Self-efficacy on Work Engagement of MOOC Instructors. British Journal of Educational Technology. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjet.12882
- *Zhu, M., & Bonk, C. J. (2019). Designing MOOCs to facilitate participant self-directed learning: An analysis of instructor perspectives and practices. International Journal of Self-Directed Learning, 16(2), 39-60. Available: https://6c02e432-3b93-4c90-8218-8b8267d6b37b.filesusr.com/ugd/6c1db2_3ab135498618442abe908811fb68a1b2.pdf
- *Sari, A. R., Bonk, C. J., & Zhu, M. (2019). MOOC Instructor Designs and Challenges: What can be Learned from Existing MOOCs in Indonesia and Malaysia? Asia Pacific Education Review, Asia Pacific Education Review, 21(1), 143-166. doi: 10.1007/s12564-019-09618-9
- *Zhu, M., Herring, S. C., & Bonk, C. J. (2019). Exploring ¬presence in online learning through three forms of computer-mediated discourse analysis. Distance Education, 40(2), 205-225. doi: 10.1080/01587919.2019.1600365
- *Zhu, M., Bonk, C. J., & Sari, A. (2019). MOOC Instructor Motivations, Innovations, and Designs: Surveys, Interviews, and Course Reviews. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, 45(1), 1-22. Available: https://www.cjlt.ca/index.php/cjlt/article/view/27795
- *Kwon, K., Ottenbreit-Leftwich, A.T., Sari, A., Khlaif, Z., Zhu, M., Nadiruzzaman, H., Gok. F. (2019). Teacher’s Self-efficacy Matters: Mobile Computing Device Integration in Middle Schools. TechTrends.
- *Zhu, M., Bonk, C. J., & Sari, A. (2018). Instructor experiences designing MOOCs in higher education: Pedagogical, resource, and logistical considerations and challenges. Online Learning, 22(4), 203-241. Available: https://olj.onlinelearningconsortium.org/index.php/olj/article/view/1495
- *Bonk, C. J., Zhu, M., Kim, M., Xu, S., Sabir, N., & Sari, A. (2018). Pushing toward a more personalized MOOC: Exploring instructor selected activities, resources, and technologies for MOOC design and implementation. The International Review of Research on Open and Distributed Learning (IRRODL), 19(4), 92-115. Available: http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/3439/4726;
- *Zhu, M., Sari, A., & Lee, M. M. (2018). A Systematic Review of Research Methods and Topics of the Empirical MOOC Literature (2014-2016). The Internet and Higher Education, 37, 31-39.
- *Boling, E., Alangari, H., Gyabak-Kumka, K., Guo, M., Hajdu, I., Khlaif, Z., Kizilboga, R., Tomita, K. Alsaif, M., Lachheb, A., Bae, H., Ergulec, F., Zhu, M., Basdogan, M., Buggs, C., Sari, A., & Techawitthayachinda, R. (2017). Core Judgments of Instructional Designers in Practice. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 30(3), 199-219.
- *Li., Y., Zhu, M., Huang, R., & Feng, N. (2010). Research on Mobile Learning-from Practitioner's Perspective. China Information Technology Education. Vol. 09, 82-88.
- Cho, Y., Zhu, M., Techawitthayachinda, R., & Ling, Q. (2019). Assessing the Needs of Students and Instructors to Improve Online Courses. In D. F. Russ-Eft & C. M. Sleezer (Ed.) Case studies in needs assessment (pp. 48-60). Washington DC: Sage
- Zhu, M. (2015). The Reform of Curriculum System of Spanish Department. In Chang, F. (Eds.), Study of Spanish language and culture (263-271). Beijing: FLTPR.
- Zhu, M. (2011). The Reform Strategies of Education Administration to Cultivate Foreign Language Learners’ Creativity. Essays of Teaching in Beijing Foreign Studies University (82-88). Beijing: FLTPR.