Rachael D. Dombrowski
Office Hours: By appointment.
- PhD, Community Health Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health
- MPH, Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan
- BS, Psychology, University of Michigan
Improving healthier lifestyles through multilevel intervention research is an area in which Dr. Dombrowski has had extensive experience, including implementing and evaluating a large, school-based wellness initiative within Chicago Public Schools (CPS), called Healthy CPS. Through Healthy CPS, low-income, urban schools have been able to make significant strides in improving their healthy school environments. Dr. Dombrowski's role in the evaluation of Healthy CPS included assessing overall change in student weight, nutrition, physical activity, tobacco use and social emotional wellness.
Prior to working on Healthy CPS, Dr. Dombrowski also co-directed a national obesity prevention initiative with the Cook County Department of Public Health that facilitated policy and systems change in communities, schools, corner stores and hospitals to support healthy eating and active living. Dr. Dombrowski also led the evaluation of the corner store component of this project to assess effective implementation of the intervention.
Dr. Dombrowski is currently evaluating implementation of the Michigan Double Up Food Bucks program in collaboration with the Fair Food Network, Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition and Grand Valley State University. Her dissertation focus includes understanding the role that healthy corner store owners play in facilitating health promotion within their community and encompassing a Community-Based Enterprise identity.
- Community Health Education
- Health Education, Division of Kinesiology, Health and Sport Studies
- Research faculty for the Center for Health and Community Impact
- Community Based Participatory Research (CBPR)
- Food Environment and Access to Healthy Foods
- Health Inequity
- Multilevel Intervention Evaluation
- Childhood Obesity
- Health Promotion and Health Education
- Health Education planning and policy courses
Community Engagement Activities
- American Public Health Association Member
- Society for Public Health Education Member