Thomas C. Pedroni
Office Hours: Tuesdays, 3:00 -5:00 p.m. and by appointment.
- Ph.D. - Curriculum and Instruction (University of Wisconsin, Madison)
- M.S. - Curriculum and Instruction (University of Wisconsin, Madison)
- Teaching Certificate - Secondary Social Studies (Tulane University)
- B.A. - Philosophy, Emphasis in Critical Social Theory (Miami University)
I am an Associate Professor of Curriculum Studies and Policy Sociology and Director of the Detroit Data and Democracy Project.
My current research examines educational and social inequality in relation to the post-welfarist educational policy complex of Detroit. I have published articles in peer-reviewed journals including Teachers College Record and Urban Review, as well as a number of chapters in edited volumes. My first book Market Movements: African American Involvement in School Voucher Reform (Routledge Critical Social Thought series) received the 2009 Critics’ Choice Book Award from the American Educational Studies Association.
- Critical Education Studies
- Curriculum Studies
- Critical Youth Studies
- Critical Theory
Community Engagement Activities
- Director of the Detroit Data and Democracy Project.
- Founding Member, Detroit Education Taskforce
- Education Research Consultant, Detroit Board of Education
- Board Member, J Dilla Foundation
- Board Member, Michigan Human Rights Coalition
- Board Member, Social Foundations of Education, Eastern Michigan University