Sally K. Roberts
The best way to contact me is via email.
EdD, Curriculum & Instruction, Curriculum & Instruction, Wayne State University, 1995
MA, Elementary Education, Wayne State University, 1972
BA, Elementary Education, Alma College, 1969
Michigan Elementary Permanent Teaching Certificate
Dr. Sally Roberts was a mathematics specialist and elementary school teacher in the Detroit Public Schools for 23 years prior to coming to Wayne State University. Dr. Roberts has a special interest in elementary and middle school mathematics education. Her research interests include mathematical problem solving; the teaching and learning of geometry; and the development of the matheamatical understandings of teachers. Dr. Roberts has made conference presentations on these topics a the national, state and local level and has published articles on these topics in Teaching Children Mathematics and Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School.
Dr. Roberts is the Director of the GO-GIRL (Gaining Options: Girls Investigate Real Life) program at Wayne State University. The program serves adolescent girls from the community and provides an alternative pre-student field experience for students in the College of Education.
Director for the GO-GIRL (Gaining Options: Girls Investigate Real Life) program. For more information about the program visit the GO-GIRL web site at:
- The development of the pedogogical content knowledge of elementary and middle school teachers
- Mathematics teaching and learning in early childhood
- Mathematical representations and models
Area of Expertise
- Early childhood mathematics
- Mathematical reasoning in elementary and middle school
- Mathematical problem solving
- Teaching and learning of geometry
- Development of the mathematical understandings of teachers
- Women and girls participation and access to STEM related education and careers
Community Engagement Activities
GO-GIRL (Gaining Options: Girls Investigate Real Life).