Silverenia Q. Kanoyton
Office Hours: By Appointment.
- Doctorate of Education:
- Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 2002
- Major: Educational Leadership and Policy Studies - Cognate Sociology.
- Master of Arts:
- Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI 1972
- Major: Social Foundations
- Hampton University, Hampton, VA 1969
- Major: History Education Minor: English
Dr. Kanoyton is an assistant professor of research and director of several grant programs at Wayne State University. Her research focuses on increasing undergraduate student acheivement and graduation for academically and economically disadvantage students. She is also interested in minority transfer from community colleges to baccalaureate institutions and undergraduate students persuing STEM degrees.
Dr. Kanoyton has held leadership positions in education, city, state, federal goverment, business, and media. She has also been a member of the Michigan State Board of Education. Dr. Kanoyton taught several years in the Detroit Public Schools and over twenty-four years at the university level.
Dr. Kanoyton is the principal investigator and director of several State of Michigan grant projects including Unversity Bound and Mission Possible: Graduation. She is also co principal investigator of a National Science Foundation grant, titled Center for Advanced Automotive Techology (CAAT). These projects are designed to enhance student persistence through graduation and student transfer from community colleges to baccalaureate granting insitutions.
Dr. Kanoyton current research focuses on the theories and practices for supporting first generation and academically and economically disadvantaged students both in community colleges and baccalaureate institutions.
She is also interested in minority students majoring in STEM fields.
Area Of Expertise
- Student Success
- Student Persistence through Graduation
- Student Transfer
- Student Acheivement
- Minority student STEM Acheivement
- Student Transfer
- EHP 7600 - History and Philosophy of Education
- Stucture of American Education
Community Engagement Activities
- 2005 - Present American Red Cross Southeastern Michigan Chapter - Executive Board Member
- 2013 - Present Anthony Wayne Society Heritage - Member
- 2010 - Present Anthony Wayne Society - Member