Kinesiology; Physical Education and Physical Activity Leadership
This major is designed for students who are interested in pursuing employment in the field of Physical Education or Physical Activity Leadership.
The undergraduate degree in Physical Education – Physical Activity Leadership Track is to prepare students for careers in physical activity. If students choose the physical education track they will be prepared to teach physical education in K-12 schools. Specific goals for the school physical education track include:
- Demonstrating skill and knowledge of a variety of movement activities including: fundamental motor skills, dance, fitness, adventure, and sports education;
- Applying knowledge about human movement from the different sub-disciplines to the teaching of physical education;
- Analyzing and evaluating human motor performance of individuals in various age groups and skill levels and evaluate and reflect on one's own teaching performance using systematic techniques; and
- Planning, implementing, and managing effective lessons.
Students who are seeking the physical activity leadership track will be prepared to facilitate physical activity experiences for children and young adults. Specific goals for the physical activity leadership track include:
- Demonstrating skill and knowledge of a variety of movement activities including fundamental motor skills, dance, fitness, adventure, and sports education;
- Applying knowledge about human movement from the different sub-disciplines to the implementation of physical activity programming; and
- Analyzing and evaluating human motor performance of individuals in various age groups and skill levels.
The Master of Education Degree in Physical Education – Physical Activity Leadership (MEd), is designed for students who are looking to further their education and obtain an in-depth understanding of teaching, teacher education, and curriculum for academic and/or professional careers in physical education. This program is also designed to provide both a theoretical and practical background for the teacher, coach, or administrator of physical education, physical activity, and sports programs at the elementary and/or secondary level. Furthermore, teachers who are already certified through the MDE in another subject area could earn an endorsement in physical education through this Master’s program.
The Masters of Arts in Teaching Degree in Physical Education – Physical Activity Leadership (M.A.T), is designed to enable individuals with a Bachelor's degree in a non-teaching field to obtain a Master's degree, while simultaneously acquiring Michigan teaching certification in physical education.
The Doctorate program in Physical Education – Physical Activity Leadership (PhD) prepares professionals to design, teach, lead and promote physical activity programs across the lifespan and in a range of school and community settings. Wayne State University is the major urban Carnegie Research University institution in Michigan. Consistent with its urban mission, the University utilizes the city's vast cultural, social, and scientific resources to stimulate research. Faculty members in the PE-PAL program have active research agendas in which students are expected to participate. Students who are seeking a PhD through the PE-PAL program at Wayne State must be passionate about both teaching in higher education and conducting research. Competitive assistantships are available, as well as financial aid.