The Wayne State University College of Education began in 1881 as the Detroit Normal Training School. In 1921 its name was changed to Detroit Teachers College and in 1933 it became known as the Wayne State University College of Education.
The College of Education is located in and serves the needs of one of the nation's largest metropolitan areas. Approximately 4,000 students are enrolled annually in our programs. Slightly more than half are in graduate programs; the remaining are undergraduate students. Additionally, the college has one of the largest teacher certification programs in Michigan.
Out of the conviction that education is the means by which human circumstances can be improved, the College of Education prepares professionals who have the commitment and competence needed to help people acquire the knowledge, skills and understandings to enable them to participate in and contribute to a complex, changing society. To achieve this mission, the college is committed to excellence in teaching, research and service. These efforts are consistent with the urban mission of the college and its theme, “The Effective Urban Educator: Reflective, Innovative and Committed to Diversity.”